You might be wondering why it matters whether a guitar products brand is vegan or not. After all, it's not food!
"Vegan is a food thing, right?"
Not exactly! "Vegan" typically means abstaining from using animal products in any form, whether it comes in the form of food, cosmetics, apparel, or other goods. You probably know that leather is made from cow, so most guitar straps are immediately disqualified by either being entirely made of leather, or at the very least having leather end tabs! But why buy vegan?
2 main benefits of vegan products:
- It's better for the animals: Obviously, not being made of animal parts means animals don't get harmed! #cruelty-free
- It's better for the environment: Animal agriculture is terrible for the environment! Here are a few not-so-fun facts:
- "Animal agriculture is the second largest contributor to human-made greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions after fossil fuels and is a leading cause of deforestation, water and air pollution and biodiversity loss." - Climatenexus.org
- Animal agriculture consumes a lot of the earth's resources! For example, 16 percent of the earth's freshwater goes to raising livestock, and a third of grain production goes to feed animals! Just think if we used that to feed people instead and the impact it could have on world hunger! - Climatenexus.org
- Air and water pollution caused by animal agriculture has significant impacts on nearby communities, with their waste runoff contaminating our streams and rivers with heavy metals, pesticides, and antibiotics.
"Do my purchasing habits even make a difference?"
Yes, they absolutely do! The global marketplace is just a reflection of the decisions of millions of individual buyers. Each one of us can nudge it in a better direction with our own purchases. Each time you and I choose to purchase a vegan option of a product, we are reducing the total demand for animal products. This makes animal agriculture less profitable for the mega-corporations, which makes them less likely to continue destroying the Amazon rainforest to farm more cattle.
"But I'm not even vegan."
You don't have to be vegan to start making the decision to choose more eco-friendly and animal-friendly products! Given the choices of luxury materials we have to work with in 2021, there is no reason your guitar strap needs to be made with leather. In starting this company, we sought to create guitar straps that had just as much of a premium look and feel as any leather strap, but that were made with only plant-based materials. You don't have to compromise in choosing between your values and a great product anymore.
"Are you vegan?"
Yes! We became vegan in the summer of 2019 and haven't looked back! You know that corny saying, "be the change you want to see in the world"? Well we take that to heart! We believe change starts with us. We can't control other people or tell them how to live their lives, but we can control our own choices. We try to buy sustainable and cruelty-free products as much as possible, and we work hard to ensure that we keep our business practices in alignment with those values.